Monday, February 16, 2009

My ever growing testimony

I don't know why it continues to astound me everytime it happens, but I guess I just need reminding that I am a child of a Heavenly Father who is very patient with me. I'm scheduled to teach the first sunday lesson next month and I'm one that stresses over it for weeks before. Teaching is not one of my talents, to say the least. So I had decided to teach on receiving personal revelation. I have wanted to teach on this for a while, but it was never the right time. Since this might be my last chance to teach the first sunday lesson, since we are moving, I decided now or never. I struggled to put my lesson together; I couldn't recall quotes, scripture, anything to help me in preparation for my lesson. Nothing flowed well. I was reading through me Ensign and had only read one or two articles, when out of the blue, I had the feeling to do my lesson on self reliance. This was a completely different direction than I wanted to take my lesson! I put the magazine away for the day. I went over my original lesson with Derek that night and it still didn't feel right. Today, I sat down with the Ensign again (Lauren was asleep and the other girls were with Derek running errands). I was flipping through it again, skimming over articles and ran right into Elder Ballard's article on....SELF RELIANCE! I sat down and put my talk together within the hour. My mind was opened and I was able to recall quotes and scripture that I had read that related to this very topic. I had made up my mind to follow the Spirit's promptings and was ,I hate to admit, amazed at how easily it came to me. Just like my own girls need CONSTANT reminding and encouraging to do what's right and listen to what I say, I, in turn, need my constant reminder that all will be done on the Lord's time table and only through Him will it come together so as to be effective for those we teach. I am indeed grateful for this calling and have learned so much in regards to listening to the spirit and studying the words of the prophets and apostles. I may just be rambling, but was told in my P. blessing that if I shared my testimony every day, if only with myself, it would grow to be very important to me and a great blessing. So I am sharing it with anyone who reads this and maybe that will cover me for a couple more days

5 comments:

Anna said...

thanks for the reminder, katie! what a great lesson to learn and be reminded of

Lauri said...

I loved hearing this experience. Thanks for sharing Katie. You are doing great things.

Amy said...

I think self-reliance is a perfect topic for right now! I too have been thinking about it a lot. Thank you for sharing your testimony of receiving personal revelation!

Kara said...

You are so great Katie, good reminder for me of who is in charge, certainly not me!

Elise and Trevor said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. Trevor and I were reading for last weeks sunday school lesson and talked about how church is not just about learning about the gospel but also for sharing our testimony so that others may feel the spirit and learn from eachother. We have had a lot of emphasis on self reliance as well. I think it is definitely an important topic for our times. Thanks for being a great example to me.