Thursday, December 18, 2008








I finally finished Derek's Christmas present today, thanks to Kara, for letting me borrow her sewing machine since mine is broken! Derek has this blanket from his childhood that he loves, but never uses. He wanted me to mend it, but this blanket was beyond repairing so my mother in law gave me the idea to use the old blanket as the batting for the new blanket! So, I did! We are all making homemade gifts for each other in the family and this seemed the best idea for me. So I asked my friend Tammy to help me tie it, and I'm sorry Tammy, the thread count was so high it took us forever to finish it. It was so hard to pull the yarn through and some of the batting and fabric from the old blanket was being pulled through too. But it is done and, I think, looks ok! I left the colorful side of the old blanket facing up so you could see it through the white side (kind of like a shadow box). It's fun to see it now that it's done. It will definitely be a warm blanket. I took pictures of the old blanket so I could go back and make Derek a blanket much like his old one, but later on when I have a little more time (ha ha). I didn't display the really torn up parts of the blanket, but this gives you a small taste of what it was like.

2 comments:

Karli said...

I think it looks great. Quilting is one thing that I don't thoroughly enjoy and you made it look awesome! Good job!

Elise said...

I love the quilt! One day, who knows when, I think we need to make the quilts out of sheets that we were going to make a long time ago.